Rent Leveling & Stabilization Office
Rent Reg. Officer: Suzanne Hetman
Hours: M – F, 9 am – 4 pm
Phone: (201) 420-2396/2062
Fax: (201) 420-5644
Send an email >
The office staff assists landlords and tenants in understating the impact the Municipal Rent Control Ordinance, Chapter 155, may have on their properties and apartments. Technical assistance is provided on a wide variety of rental issues which cover such matters as: which apartments are subject to local rent control laws; what is the legal base rent; what rent increases the law permits; annual cost of living adjustments; tax surcharges; water/sewer surcharges; capital improvement surcharges; hardship increases; vacancy decontrol and annual registration requirements. Files on all residential properties are maintained for public inspection if owners and/or tenants have questions regarding a particular property.
Rent Leveling Board
In conjunction with this office, a 9 person citizen board convenes bi-monthly to review appeals, uphold City ordinances, and pass regulations. Find out more.
City Documents and Resources
In order to download the documents below, you’ll need to download a free copy of Adobe Acrobat..
- Rent Leveling Stabilization Disclosure Statement
- Rent Control Annual Registration Form
- Rent Leveling Registration Letter
- Tax Surcharge Application
- Water/Sewer Surcharge Application
- Landlord’s Request for Update of Legal Rent
- Legal Rent Calculation Request
- Capital Improvement Surcharge Application
- Hardship Application
- Vacancy Decontrol Certificate
- Amending Chapter 155 Rent Control ordinance Z-88
- Bona Fide Condo/Coop Owner/Occupant (CCOO) Affidavit Initial Rental Decontrol Upon Vacancy
State and County Resources
Tenants’ Rights in New Jersey: A Legal Handbook for New Jersey Tenants.
Truth in Renting Booklet: Truth in Renting Booklet
Hudson County Housing Resource Center
Address: 574 Newark Ave, 3rd floor, Jersey City, NJ 07306